It is very common for PC user to enable Windows login password (it can be user or administrator password) because every PC user stores all his personal as well as official data in his/her PC. There is no doubt that enabling login password provides security to their confidential data but many times it can also create problem to PC user if they forget it. Such PC user faces many problems if they have not maintained proper resources (recovery disk, guest account or alternative admin account) to recover their login password.
Here I am sharing how to reset Administrator or User account password by using Windows XP bootable CD.
Resources Needed: Windows XP bootable CD.
- Insert the Windows XP installation disk into CD/DVD drive and restart PC.
- At restart you will see the message “Press Any Key to Boot from CD”. You can press any key on the keyboard to continue.
- Windows will start copying files and after that you will be asked to press Enter key to start the installation key. Hit “Enter” key.
- Next you will see Welcome screen with three options:
- To set up Windows XP now, press Enter.
- To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery console, press R.
- To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.Hit “Enter” key
- Next you will see “Windows XP Licensing Agreement”. Press F8 key to continue.
- In the next screen you will see the Drive. Select the Windows drive (in which Windows is installed) and press 'R'.
- Windows will start copying the files from the CD and after completion Windows automatically reboot. At reboot take out installation disk from CD/DVD drive.
- After reboot Windows installer screen appears. You can see the installation progress on the left hand side of screen. The completed task is represented by placing a green dot in front of it and current task is represented by highlighting it with Red colour. A horizontal bar also shows the specific components which are being installed.
- When you see message "Installing Devices" (above horizontal bar) press "Shift + F10".
- It will open command prompt. Type “control userpasswords2” and press "Enter".
- It will open "User Accounts" control panel from where you can easily change Administrator (and User account) password and other settings.
After changing Admin password click type "Exit" at command prompt. Windows installation process will resume and let it complete successfully. Now you can login to Administrator account with new password.
This method is considered as one of the best methods to reset administrator password. The only drawback of this method is that it can be used with computer systems having Windows XP operating system. If you want to reset administrator password of PC having any other operating system then you can use passwordrevealer software to reset Windows password.